And hello to all of you! Soooo yeah. The last time I wrote a blog post was over the summer… I think…? I hang my head in shame at my lack of contributing to the blogosphere. I don’t really have any excuse, except, life happened and kind of took over everything else. So this blog kind of got stuck in the back of the metaphorical pantry and almost reached its expiration date. Funky.
But I digress. I thought I would take inspiration from Amber and recap what happened in 2013 and what I’m hoping will happen in 2014. It’s cliche but it’s fun! I am not a person who like to make resolutions. I call ‘em goals and each year I set a few for myself and hopefully I can accomplish most, if not all!
Recap of 2013:
- I turned 30! I had a list on here for the 31 things I wanted to do before turning 30 and I did what I said: I accomplished half. There are things that just didn’t happen due to money and time constraints, but I’d still say that’s pretty damn good. How did I celebrate turning 30? My friend and I threw a Roaring 20s party to say goodbye to our twenties. It was definitely a highlight of the year!
- Ran two 5K’s! I ran my first 5K in April 2013 and then did the Color Run with Amber in May. Both were fun! I had hoped to run another one, but oh well.
- Trip to Cali. We witnessed two of our very good friends tie the knot and partied with them in a beautiful villa in Santa Barbara. The addition of wine tasting, running/walking on the beach and driving the Pacific Coast Highway made the trip fun, though busy!
- Trip to NYC with my friend Jackie. To ring in our 30th birthdays, she and I spent 5 wonderful days in The Big Apple. I didn’t want to leave. Hands down, one of my Top 5 favorite vacations of all time.
- Excelled at work. I helped lead a major project at work, which was successful and made me feel pretty good!
- Had a total of 15 photo session this year, 4 of them being weddings. This was absolute perk for me this year. I had hoped to gain more exposure for my photography side business and it totally happened! Here’s hoping it will continue.
- Interior design/home improvements. We spent a good amount of money repairing things in our house and also decorating it. It’s slowly but surely coming together.
I can’t complain about the way things went in 2013. I just hope 2014 can be like that, or better! Here are some things I hope to accomplish this year.
- HEALTH. It’s so cliche to make this statement every year, but I really, really need to focus on my health this year. I’m officially in the “old” category (haha, OK not really but you know what I mean) and it will only get harder to lose weight, keep endurance up and the energy up, so I want to make a conscious effort to continue a healthy lifestyle. The first big thing? Cutting out alcohol for a least 3 months. I did this before I got married and I didn’t miss it one bit. I felt healthier, lighter and more energized.
- Completely decorate and finish 2 full rooms in the house. We decided to start with our bedroom since we want it to be a place we spend time in other than to just sleep. I’m happy to say that with a few more accents, this room will actually be done! Then I hope to start the front rooms of the house, or the guest room.
- Run another 5K. One of the Christmas presents REB and I got each other was a treadmill for our basement. I plan to put that thing to good use and put it (and me!) to work.
- Explore more of Detroit. I had the pleasure of finally going to Eastern Market in Detroit and also trying out Supino pizza! It was definitely well worth the wait and easily became one of my favorite spots in Motor City. I have seen other parts of Detroit a few times (Heidelberg Project, MCS, Dequindre Cut, Cafe Roma, Tigers and Lions games, theaters downtown, etc.), but I want to explore more! Like, I’ve never been to the River Walk, or a Red Wings game, or a casino downtown other than getting a drink at MGM and Greektown. Plus, I’d still love to do a portrait session down there sometime. I hear Amber is looking to see more of Detroit so maybe she’ll join me in this quest!
- Have a picnic in the Arb. I love living in Ann Arbor and it might be totally “hipster” or stupid, but I want to have a picnic in Nichols Arboretum here in town. Especially when all the lilacs and flowers are in bloom there in the spring/summer.
- Blog more! I feel awful for not having blogged in so long this year, but I hope to blog a little more. Maybe not recipes all the time, but anything. At least once a month. That’s a pretty good goal, right?
- Sleep earlier. One of the biggest factors in having a healthy lifestyle is getting a sufficient amount of sleep. I can function on between 6-8 hours sleep, which I think is pretty average for someone of my age and stuff. However, we always, always watch TV in bed before going to bed. I’d like to make a conscious effort to not do that. To spend the last part of my day reading in bed then getting some decent shut eye.
- MOAR PHOTOS! I hope to continue with portrait sessions for families, kids and seniors. I’m also excited to be assisting my friend in a few weddings this year, too.
So here’s to 2014! It’s going to be way rad and full of high fives and fun!