1. What is one thing (or several things) you did this year that you had not done before?
- Made a list of things to do before I turn 30
- Bought a house
- Horseback riding!
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make new ones?
Not really. I read 25/30 books, I didn’t keep with Project 52 with Danbo, I didn’t even do the MCP Project 12 and I didn’t reach my goal weight. However, we did buy a new house and I did maintain stronger friendships with those in my life who matter to me. I also disconnected myself from certain people and haven’t looked back. Overall, this year has been pretty positive. As for new resolutions, I probably won’t make any. My 31 Before 30 list is as good as any resolution list can be.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My aunt passed not too long ago and it was devastating news. And recently, many of my friends and family members have lost loved ones. It’s been a rough fall/winter for all of us.
5. What countries did you visit?
None this year ;) We are planning the next European excursion though!
6. What would you like to have this coming year that you lacked last year?
Book more portrait sessions, take more bike rides, work out more, DRINK LESS (the wine. it calls to me. need to stop that) and work on the house!
7. What date from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 24, 2012: the day we closed on our house. It was the single most amazing moment of the year for us and I still can’t believe we’re like, adults or something.
June 11, 2012: Radiohead in Detroit. I’ve been fortunate to attend some amazing concerts in the past (Dave Brubeck in Chicago, Simon and Garfunkel in Chicago, Lilly Allen, Fiona Apple, and Coldplay), but this was a real treat. I always appreciated the music of Radiohead, but wasn’t as big a fan as REB. He’s listened to them since forever and has continued to do so to this day. So when we heard they were coming to Detroit after a 15 year hiatus of coming here, we jumped on the chance to see them. Best $60/ticket paid. Their opening band, Caribou, played for like 45 minutes and were awesome, then Radiohead came on and played for 3 hours. It was an amazing show, amazing lights, set, sound. Just. Wow. Plus, our seats were pretty boss.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Riding a bike again. Before I bought my bike, I hadn’t ridden one since I was 7 years old. The saying is true: it all came back to me like I had been riding for years. So much so that I averaged 20 miles/ride with REB when we’d take rides during the summer and we did the Tour de Troit in Detroit this past September! I can’t wait to try to reach my 500 miles before I turn 30!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not tracking calories nearly enough.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new car :)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My sister’s! She graduated with her masters from Northwestern in June!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The idiot who shot 20 little kids in Newton, CT. Sick bastard.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Photo equipment, Kate Spade handbags and accessories, shoes. (wow, materialistic much, Aparna?)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Vacationing up north with our friends and all our dogs!
16. What songs will always remind you of this past year?
- M83 – Midnight City
- Fun. – We Are Young
- The Temper Trap – Sweet Disposition
- Michael Woods – The Essential Mix from BBC Radio 1 (ah-MAY-zing)
- Drive Soundtrack
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Happier and smarter. Despite the bad that happened this year, so many good things happened and I feel lucky. And although I didn’t get to that magic number on the scale, and I didn’t track my caloric intake nearly as much as I should have, I didn’t completely revert back to old eating habits. I still maintained a pretty good diet, did work out (just not as much as I would have liked) and REB and I aren’t any where near what we weighed 1 1/2 years ago.
18. Thinner or fatter?
19. Richer or poorer?
I can’t lie – richer. I was smart with my money this year even though I did have some impulse, fun purchases ;)
20. What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Tracking Calories/working out more
- Traveled more; visited seester more
21. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Ha. Tracking calories, feeling guilty :\
22. How will you be spending your birthday?
I’m turning 30 in 2013. Party at home, trip to NYC with my bestie!
23. How will you be spending the holidays?
Christmas with REB and pup in our house, New Years in Chicago with seester and bro-in-law (Boozemas XIII!!)
24. Did you fall in love this past year?
Yes – with my photo studio and my bike!
25. How many one-night stands?
26. What was your favorite TV program?
- Game of Thrones (Papapaapa!)
- Downton Abbey
- Key & Peele
27. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hmm, don’t think so.
28. What was the best book you read?
- Game of Thrones
- Clash of Kings
- Storm of Swords (currently reading and good so far!)
- The Happiness Project
29. What was your greatest musical discovery?
- Fun. (love Nathan’s previous band, The Format)
- Dragonette (Thanks, Amber!)
30. What did you want and get?
- A house
- A photo room/studio in my house
- A new car
- Kate Spade everything (lol)
- A new portrait lens
- A new bed
- Heavy bag & weight bench for the basement
31. What did you want and not get?
- A new camera
- A new MacBook Pro
- Goal weight (it will happen though! Mark my words!)
- New pair of fall boots
32. What was your favorite film of this year?
Dark Knight Rises
33. What did you do on your last birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29 this past October. REB took me horseback riding (a first for me!) and we had a nice dinner with a friend downtown.
34. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
- Tights (lol)
35. What kept you sane?
- Taking photos
36. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
source of image
Classy, eloquent, charismatic and fashion-forward. I admire everything about her.
37. What political issue stirred you the most?
Everything one man said made my skin crawl: Mitt Romney
38. Who was the best new person(s) you met?
My now good friends Sarah and Doug! They started coming to Sunday Funday with REB, Amber, Ricardo and me, and I’m so thankful to have friends like them in our lives!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Be thankful for what you have.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
”From the moment of my birth, to the instant of my death, there are patterns I must follow, just as I breathe each breath.”
Hope you all have a happy new year and here’s to 2013!