I can finally say: I have ALL my holiday shopping DONE! This is a huge deal. I’m usually the one scrambling around trying to figure out what to get everyone, while everyone else seems to have me pegged pretty well. Apparently the exact opposite is happening this year. I have gifts for everyone, and my sister and REB are having a hard time figuring out what to get me.
I made a list for them, but it was seriously things I wanted for the house, that I would prefer to buy myself. I realize how lame that is, but what I honestly want are two things that are way out of any normal person’s price range and I would prefer to get them myself: upgrade my DSLR and buy a new Macbook Pro. There’s no way I expect anyone to get me these items. They’re on my list to do before I’m 30 ;)
However, for those of you who follow me on Instagram have probably seen the posts about what I’m doing for REB: the 12 days of Christmas! This is the first year in the 7 years we’ve been together that I finally can surprise him and not just get something he knows he wants or is getting. Usually when we play the “what do you want for Christmas” game, we say what we want, then we go out together and buy it for each other. It’s pretty lame. The element of surprise isn’t there, but it’s worked! But this year, I got him! I do plan to do a post about all 12 days when all is said and done!
So, the point of his post? If you’re like me, and want to include a homemade, personal gift in addition to a materialistic gift, then why not a gift of yummies in a jar? I don’t know about all of you, but I love hot chocolate, especially in the winter. I’m also on an incredible peppermint/candy cane kick, so I had to throw those in there too.
Bottom line: it’s quick, easy and face it, it looks cute.
- 1 cup Instant dry milk powder
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (or regular size)
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- ¼ crushed candy cane pieces
- Layer all items in a jar, starting with the dry milk, ending with candy canes.
- To prepare:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Measure ⅓ cup into a cup. Stir in 1 cup boiling water, and enjoy!
- Put remaining mix back in jar, seal tight and save for next time!
- Recipe adapted from Tisano cacao, tea & chocolate