Well hello my lovelies!
It’s officially summer and it’s officially warm outside and officially the start of a what I hope to be a very fun few weeks!
We had our first house guests in our house this past weekend! It was so much fun, too. I’m sure some of you may have seen the progression of sloppiness on Instagram, but perhaps there should be a story or background to the fun.
Two of our best friends came over for the night and it was a beautiful night out so we took full advantage of sitting outside and wining and dining.
And do you see that yummy looking dip on the left side of the picture? That’s was my contribution to the spread of the appetizers we had before REB made his brother’s warm pasta salad. Delicious!
Now let’s talk about the dip! It was a black bean, corn and avocado salad that I had in Chicago a few weeks ago. It was so delicious so I searched the Pinterest board and saw a pin for it and decided to make it for the start to the weekend. I changed up a few things to our tastes, but it was absolutely delicious.
I did a lot of prep work the night before to save some time.
Can we take a second to look at the beautiful colors? This is one of the reasons I love summer for this reason! It helps to make this the night before because then you can add the avocado right before serving and they won’t turn brown. I added more lime juice on top just to be sure it wouldn’t turn brown. You can never have enough lime juice in a salad like this.
Bottom line: this dip was delicious and so fresh and light. We served it up with pita chips and tortilla chips and the evening was so much fun. I can’t wait to start having more people over! Entertaining is going to come so much easier with the extra space!
What are your favorite summer time dishes?
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup corn kernels (frozen, then thawed)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 avocados, scored and scooped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 4-6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (zest 2 of them first!) — this took about 2-3 limes
- Drizzle of olive oil to desired consistency
- Combine the black beans, corn, red bell pepper and cilantro in a bowl and mix.
- Add the garlic, lime zest, cayenne pepper, shallot, sugar, salt and lime juice and mix well.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for a few hours, or over night.
- Right before serving, score and scoop avocado into the salad, give it another squeeze of lime to help keep them green, and sprinkle some cilantro on top and you’re good to go!