Confession: I am a smartphoneaholic.
One of my favorite bloggers, Lindsay, recently posted her 30 favorite apps on her phone and I felt inspired to do the same.
My phone is literally my secretary or my personal assistant. I didn’t think I would come to rely on my smartphone as much as I do, but I literally do everything from my phone these days. So I thought I would share some apps I use regularly and how I use them, both for work and leisure!
The above picture is the first screen on my phone. It’s the screen with the apps I use on a regular basis. So here we go!
Every day apps:
- Instagram: no explanation needed. I seem to use my phone for pictures all the time these days over the fancy DSLR and only use that for photo sessions I book, or for food. Because obviously ;)
- Facebook: Again, no explanation needed
- Pages: I love using this for both the blog page and the photography page! It’s a great way for me to see at a glance what’s happening on each!
- Twitter for iPhone: I don’t use any other twitter app than the norm. This has been working fine and I can switch between my personal account and the photography one without any problem!
- Calendar: I don’t know what I would do without this app. It’s synced with all my email accounts, both personal and work. It’s the best way for me to keep track of what photo sessions I have booked on the weekend, personal/private events, and my meetings at work every. single. day.
- Soundcloud: Being an electronic music junkie, I love Soundcloud. My brother-in-law first introduced me to the web site where you can listen to essential mixes of your favorite DJ’s and also check out new mixes by new peeps. I didn’t know they had an app, but I should have figured they did. I love it! Can listen to said awesome mixes on the go!
- Spotify: To use Spotify on your phone, you need to be a premium user and pay a monthly fee, which I do. But I love it. I use this app for every road trip or even out running simple errands, more than I use the music app on my phone.
- MyFitnessPal: The way I lost all that weight before my wedding was tracking what I eat, how long my workouts were and what I burned. I still use it and love it! Super simple, plus having my friends on there helps us encourage each other!
- Runkeeper: Essential for keeping track of my runs, walking the dog, or just leisure walks. Plus I can map out routes I want to use for future outdoor runs. I can even use it indoors with the manual setting so it doesn’t use the GPS.
- Clock: Seems simple enough but I have so many alarms for each day of the week. Three for each work day (yes, I require three alarms to actually wake up. Although lately the first one at 5:51 a.m. has been working just fine!) With all the stuff I have going on each weekend or end of the week, i set alarms for those too!
- Kindle: I love the Kindle app for iPhone. I read every day during my lunch break because it’s the only real break I get during the work day. I love that it’s synced with Kindle.
Other handy apps I love:
- PicFrame: Simple, free app I use to create collages.
- Vine: A video app made by the people who made Twitter, this app is hella fun. You get 6 seconds (min. of 3 seconds) to record a video and it posts. It’s become quite the craze! My friend Amber and I use it for movie reviews after Scary Movie Night. We’re going to be Internet sensations. Just you wait.
- ESPN Sports Center: REB and I are a sports couple. We love football, Detroit sports teams, and other teams too, of course! So when I can’t watch a game, I rely heavily on the app to keep me up to date on what my teams are doing ;)
- Fly Delta: Screw paper boarding passes. Paperless is the way to go if you can do it!
- ShopShop: My favorite app when making lists for grocery lists. I like that it saves previous items I’ve entered and it’s easy to use. With a shake of the phone an item is “crossed off” the list! While I prefer making a list with pen and paper, having this app is a nice alternative.
- Feedly: With Google Reader going away, I need an easy way to keep up with my favorite blogs daily!
Other fun, random apps:
- Pocketbooth: It’s not a free app, but it’s a fun one to take photos in a photobooth style with different photo filters.
- TinyPlanet: Another fun, random camera app that turns a photo into a circle image. Kind of cool when you get a good shot of a city skyline or something.
- Redbox: If REB and I don’t feel like paying $25 to see a movie in a theater, paying $1.50 is a better choice with a quick Redbox movie. I like the app because it’s easy to use, shows all the Redbox machines in our area, and what movies are there.
- Netflix: Long bus rides can be go by faster if I prefer to watch something on Netflix instead of reading
- PS Express: The Photoshop Express app for iPhone. It’s not the best app, but it’s sufficient for quick edits
- Snapseed: I haven’t used this app too much, but from what I have used, I like the editing formats they offer for quickly editing a photo.
- Voxer: My friend Amber and I used this over the summer last year when she, her hubby, REB and I all rented that house on the lake up north. Since we caravaned up there, it was a cool CB radio/walkie-talkie app to keep in touch without texting while driving.
- TypoInsta: An easy-to-use app to apply text to your photos. You can save them on your phone or upload them directly to twitter, flickr, instagram or email from the app itself.
So there we have it! I’m sure I’m missing some, but if I am, then I clearly don’t use them enough to warrant a feature on here. I may not have a human being assistant to help run my life, but it’s nice to know I have a pocket size one I can take with me every where!
What are your favorite phone apps?