Five truths about this soup:
- It took less than 40 minutes to make
- It was crazy easy to make and something I’ll make again
- It made me forget about carbs…almost. OK, not at all
- It was approved by my husband
- I had to make it at 3:30 p.m. in order to make use of natural light and it was still a bitch to photograph, and still doesn’t look that great
The truth is, I miss carbs. I miss carbs so freaking much. And I’ve been craving my brother-in-law’s lasagna. He makes legit lasagna. The kind that takes, like, 4-6 hours to make and as much as I tease him that it takes this long to make, it’s totally worth it.
I’ve been doing really well with my whole “let’s-be-friggan’-healthy” mission and have been trying to find recipes I can make that A). are delicious, B). are husband-approved, C). make enough for my lunch leftovers the next day and D). are relatively low in calories, fat and carbs.
So I made this soup thinking it would make me forget about missing the real-deal lasagna. And while it didn’t stop me from missing the real deal, it was a great alternative, totally hearty, still had a little pasta in it and was so full of flavor. Plus it made more than enough for leftovers for both me and the PhD student I live with, so that’s a win.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. Baby bella mushrooms, cleaned, de-stemmed and sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt-added petite diced tomato
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (use less if spice isn’t your thing)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves (or 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ cup uncooked Ditalini pasta (or any small pasta of your choice) — if you’re going low-or-no carb, just leave this out and substitute in cauliflower or more mushrooms!
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Start by heating olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat
- Add onion, mushroom and garlic and cook 3-5 minutes
- Add zucchini and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, diced tomato and spices/herbs
- Stir and let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add uncooked pasta, stir and cook another 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked
- Remove pot from heat and stir in cheese
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!